Under Labour immigration was out of control. While they were in power, 2.2 million net migrants arrived – that’s twice the population of Birmingham.
This government is committed to controlling immigration. We aim to reduce net migration down from the hundreds of thousands to the tens of thousands a year. To achieve this we are taking action across the board:
- We have capped economic migration from outside of the EU.
- We have reformed the largest route, the student visa system, and clamped down on widespread abuses.
- We will soon take action to break the link between temporary routes and permanent settlement, and to address the family visa route.
- We will set up a Border Policing Command to control our borders.
- We are clamping down on illegal immigrants already in the country.
Jake Berry said:
‘I’m pleased to fully support the Prime Minister’s no ifs no buts promise to the British people to control immigration.
‘Immigration under Labour was out control with net migration reaching unsustainable levels. This Government aims to reduce net migration down to the levels of the 1990s – the tens of thousands rather than the hundreds of thousands.
‘To reduce immigration Government reforms will overhaul all visa routes. Labour admit they swept immigration under the carpet – so it’s a shame they refuse to support the Government in clearing up their mess.’